Steps

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Healthy and Wealthy and Wise

Supposedly there are great blessings to be gained from waking up early and going to bed early. Yesterday, I tried it. I woke up at 6 am and went for a walk before Ryan left for work. It was awesome! Granted, it was freezing and my cheeks almost froze off, but it was still good. I felt like I did something productive with my day right off the bat. I had time in the morning to read my scriptures, which meant that I had time that night to write in my journal while Ryan was reading his own scriptures. (My journalling has been sadly off-kilter since getting married. I mostly got it back on track, but then Cara was born and I haven't been consistent since. This after 10 years of writing faithfully every night!) My entire day was better, and I was happy most of the day. Ryan even noticed the change in my mood. He assures me that I haven't been a pain, but that I seem much happier when I can get outside and move my body.

And so, this is my desire: I would like to get up early each morning and start the day off right. I owe it to myself and to my family to do so. Also, I think that if I can do that, perhaps I can earn the right to homeschool my kids someday.

That sounds a little twisted. I just think that, the way things are now, if I did decide to homeschool, we wouldn't end up starting school until 11 am, at which point half the day is wasted anyway. I would always be playing catch-up, as opposed to getting a jump-start on life.

It's not a goal, at this point. I'm not committed enough to it to make it a goal. But it is a desire, and enough of one that I've set my alarm for 6, and it's set to go off every day. Poor Ryan! It helps, even just having done it one day and knowing the benefits to be had. I want that.

1 comment:

  1. There will come a day when you feel tired all day because you got up so early. Then comes the test--do I stick with it or do I give up?
    Being a night owl, 6 is too early for me, but I do know I feel better when I go to bed earlier and get up around 7.

    ReplyDelete