Steps

Friday, January 15, 2010

The Importance of Being Full

I spent all day yesterday in a battle with myself. My stomach said, "I'm hungry! Feed me now!" while my brain said, "Don't eat too much! Remember portion control!" As a result, I ate every hour or two, never enough to be satisfied, and I watched in horror as the calories piled up. By the end of the day, I gave up and made myself two packets of maple and brown sugar oatmeal. This was about an hour before dinner time. I was satisfied when I went to bed, at least. But I realized, through this experience, just how important it is to feel full. You see, if I had gotten a good breakfast in a timely manner, I would have felt better all day and not had quite the struggle with myself. In the end, I would have consumed fewer calories and eaten them in better ways. I would have eaten more vegetables and less... other things.

This morning, I have eaten a salad (don't knock it 'til you try it! A salad for breakfast is actually quite amazing.) and started off with two packets of oatmeal. Here's hoping that it will help me to feel satisfied all day so I don't have to fight with my stomach.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, breakfast is important, if you're hungry then. If I'm not hungry I eat breakfast around lunchtime and then lunch later, if I'm hungry before dinner.
    Be sure to include protein in breakfast. Oatmeal is healthy but it doesn't hold me nearly as long. I need a bit of cheese, some nuts, or meat with breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put some turkey in my salad. It helps.

    ReplyDelete